Some info about ELEMENTS
Please read these FAQ before you buy, I won't answer emails about the questions listed here any longer. I've done it too often.
Please check out this info page. I'll explain it there in-depth. The page will open in a new tab.
Well, programming a watch face gives some advantages over conventionally built faces in GWD. In the ELEMENTS face these advantages are:
- you can select from a range of color themes, your selection will be saved even if you change watch faces or turn off your watch.
- watch hands, interactive text and AOD elements are included in the color themes
- you have a real 2nd time zone you can pick freely from the menu
- shortcut menu to timer, stop watch and other useful apps
- you can choose what you want to see - 2nd time zone, air pressure or heart rate monitor
ELEMENTS comes with some bugs/flaws due to the way it was built and how it interacts with your watch's operating system. Some of these issues only apply to a small group of users and I've never been able to figure out who gets them and who doesn't. So chances are good that you won't be affected by them, but don't count on it. If you feel uncomfortable with this, DON'T BUY THE WATCH FACE. I spent hundreds of hours trying to fix these issues. They are unfixable and I will no longer try. Again: live with them, or don't buy the face. You've been warned. So, what are the bugs/issues:
- The face consumes more battery than other watch faces. I can't tell you how much more, it's different for some users and others. I'd say it consumes about 10-30% more battery.
- If you switch to ELEMENTS from another face and you've made steps already, you'll have to use the menu to update ELEMENTS to your current steps count. Steps count and goal are privilleged values that programmed third party apps can't access. The updater I built is easy enough and it takes less than 5 seconds to do it. You DON'T have to do this every day, only once you switch watch faces and come back to ELEMENTS. The steps counter will then start counting from 0 and needs to be updated if you want it to be accurate.
- Your steps goal is also privilleged and you need to set it manually in ELEMENTS. This needs to be done only once, the value you enter will be saved until you want to change it again.
- Also, the steps counter is NOT in sync with sHealth. ELEMENTS measures steps by itself so there can be a difference from 0 to 25 steps over the day if you compare it to your sHealth count.
- Same applies to the heart rate. ELEMENTS takes a fresh measurement every 15 minutes. If you compare it in between with the watch's app, you will get different values which is only logical.
- ELEMENTS gives you temperature and weather condition. This data comes from openweathermaps.org, it's a free API which only provides fresh data every 2 hours. I can't influence that. I never felt I need weather in my watch face but as so many users wanted it, I included it. It will most probably not give you accurate values because it can be delayed up to 2 hours. If you don't need weather on your watch face, just deactivate it in the menu and you don't have to worry about it.
- If you use wrist activation and the watch wakes up, you will see the watch hands flip to the current time for a fraction of a second. If you use AOD, you won't be affected by this.
That's the deal. These things annoy me, too, but as I said, I can't fix them. There are still thousands of users who love the ELEMENTS watch face and who don't care about the issues. So if you want to give it a try, I'd appreciate your 1$-purchase to support my work. If you don't want to end up with bugs, you should better not purchase this watch face.